One World Futbol Project Reaches Milestone on Third Anniversary
Company Has Delivered More Than 500,000 Nearly Indestructible One World Futbols Impacting an Estimated 15 Million Youth Worldwide
Berkeley, CA—August 13, 2013—Celebrating three years of helping youth around the world discover their heroic potential through play, One World Futbol Project (oneworldfutbol.com) today announced the mission-driven, award-winning B Corporation has distributed more than half a million One World Futbols to an estimated 15 million children and youth living in disadvantaged communities worldwide. Launched in July 2010, One World Futbol Project makes, sells and distributes the One World Futbol, the world’s first, nearly indestructible ball that never needs a pump and never deflates—even when punctured multiple times—making it ideal for play in all types of terrain and harsh environments.
The mission of One World Futbol Project is to bring the healing power of play to youth around the world through the One World Futbol. Working with corporate sponsors, partners, organizations and consumers worldwide, One World Futbol Project distributes One World Futbols to disadvantaged communities, where play can be used to teach life skills and foster social change.
“The challenges have been harder than we ever anticipated, but the impact has been far greater that we ever imagined,” said Tim Jahnigen, founder and chief innovation officer, One World Futbol Project. “It’s incredible to have our mission embraced, then magnified and optimized. For us, it’s not about what the ball is, but what the ball lets us do. It isn’t just a game changer on a pitch—it’s about changing the game by turning the whole world into a field of play.”
Inspired by Refugee Youth
In 2006, One World Football inventor Jahnigen was watching news footage about traumatized refugee youth in Darfur playing soccer on dirt using a ball they had made by tying trash together with twine. In that instant, Jahnigen saw that these kids had such strong, indestructible spirits and felt they deserved better. He realized there was a global need for a nearly indestructible ball that could withstand the harsh conditions often faced by youth living in refugee camps, disaster areas and other disadvantaged communities. With that spark of inspiration, the idea for the One World Futbol was born.
With a concept and material in mind, Jahnigen set out to design a ball that played like a soccer ball, but would never need a pump and never go flat—even when punctured multiple times. His idea remained in the concept stage until a conversation with his friend, world‐renowned musician Sting. Once Sting heard Tim’s vision for the ball, he provided the initial funding to do the research and development for a prototype of the One World Futbol. In recognition of Sting’s crucial, early support, the name of the ball and the Company are based on the song “One World (Not Three),” written by Sting.
“One World Futbol Project is inspiring children to realize their own potential through this nearly indestructible ball. It’s a simple idea, but it makes all the difference in the world,” said Sting
One World Futbol Project is fortunate to work with a strong and growing global network of hundreds of organizations around the world. Together with our founding sponsor Chevrolet, who pledged donate 1.5 million balls over three years, One World Futbol Project is helping to sustain the greatest natural resource on our planet—the spirit and soul of our youth. One World Futbol Project is grateful to our partners including (but not limited to): A Ganar/Partners of the Americas, Coaches Across Continents, East Meets West Foundation, FECHAC, Food For The Poor, Football Federation of Cambodia, FUNDaFIELD, Generations for Peace, Grassroot Soccer, Haitian Children’s Fund, International Relief & Development (IRD), Joyce Banda Foundation International, Play Soccer Nonprofit International, Peace Corps, Rainforest Foundation, Right to Play, Salesian Missions, Save the Children, Sisters of Mercy, Soccer Without Borders, South African Football Association, Sport Sans Frontieres, Streetfootballworld Network members, The Jack Brewer Foundation, Trust in Education, U.S. – Africa Children’s Fellowship, UNICEF, YMCA, Government Ministries of Burundi, Paraguay, Sierra Leone, Zanzibar, and others.
*One World Futbol Project By The Numbers*
- Bringing the healing power of play to more than 15 million children and youth.
- More than 500,000 nearly indestructible balls distributed to since July 2010 debut at World Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- One World Futbols are in 162 countries.
- Founding Sponsor Chevrolet pledges to donate and support distribution of at least 1.5 million Chevrolet-branded One World Futbols worldwide over three years (Partnership began May 2012)
- Recognized for work in January 2013 by His Excellency Dr. Ali Mohamed Shein, President of Zanzibar.
- Recognized for work in February 2013 by Her Excellency Dr. Joyce Banda, President of Malawi.
- Lauded by Dr. Jane Goodall as creating dynamic new potential for youth development.
- Winner of the SVN 2013 Innovation Award.
- Recognized as an honorary goodwill ambassador by the Athletes and Artists Committee of the Millennium Development Goals Awards for our humanitarian efforts.
- Named Grand Prize Winner of the Innovation Open competition at Sustainable Brands conference (2011).
- Finalist for Peace and Sports Award (2010).
- 103,000+ Facebook Fans and more than 121,000 views on YouTube.
*Numbers are current as of August 13, 2013